Thursday, July 30, 2009

The Feist Manifesto?

The dog trainer I'm working with & learning from seems to think Chloe is a "Feist" or some sort of mix thereof. But the "Feist Manifesto" just doesn't have the same ring to it. So even if he is right, the blog's name remains the same. (and I've filled my rhyme quota for the day).

Chloe is a shelter mutt. Australian Cattle Dog mixed with Basenji is a "best guess" based on her appearance and temperament. Genes do weird things when mixed with one another. There are no absolutes. There's nothing in her outward appearance to say she could NOT be mixed with either breed. Her color ("tipped" red sable) is genetically possible in Basenjis. Her upright ears could have been handed down from both Basenjis and ACD's. Her tail curls over her back when she's excited. She yodels and makes Chewbacca noises more often than she barks. She tries to "herd" birds in the backyard. She is biddable, owner-focused and a super quick learner.

Only Jesus himself knows what she's really mixed with. (And rumor has it, He wept when she was born.) I have nothing but the utmost respect for the knowledge & experience that this dog trainer has, so I'm not discounting the "feist" idea. I know a feist is a widely varied "type" of hunting dog, rather than a breed- so it's certainly possible Chloe could fit such a widely defined type of dog. But on the other hand, guessing the heritage of a stray shelter dog is certainly never an exact science. It's anybody's guess!

I dunno. You be the judge. Here's a couple pics of Chloe, along with a red Basenji and a red Australian Cattle Dog:




Red Basenji:


Red Aus. Cattle Dog (aka "Red Heeler")



Finally, a couple pics of "Mountain Feists" I was able to find- these are the only ones that even remotely resemble Chloe:




Any thoughts are welcome :)

10 comments:

  1. I want to email you pictures of my dog. She was red like yours and was some kind of mix. She is the dog getting sketched on this page

    http://caninecountryclub.yolasite.com/pet-portraits.php
    You have any ideas what she is? I was told Feist mix but her tail did not curl. Love your blog. I live in Mississippi.
    -tara

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an australian cattle dog mixed with a basenji ... she looks like the last picture you have of the "mountain feist" ... I could send a picture if you want: very similar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really, I am impressed from this post. The person who create this post is truly great. Thanks for sharing this with us. I found this informative and interesting blog so I think its very useful and knowledgeable. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article.
    Dog Trainers Portland

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great dog training tips. You've done a very nice article about dog training. I have a blog about pet tips and guides called PetPerkPlus at Dog training washington DC, if you wanna get some ideas about dog training, feel free to visit their.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just came across your blog about dog training basics and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a web site & blog about Dog trainers Indianapolis so I know I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very inspirational to hear about someone pursuing their dream and becoming successful instead of following the traditional path.

    Dog trainers beaverton

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to thank you for posting such an educational blog. And also will wait for your next post.

    __________________________
    Las Vegas Dog Training

    ReplyDelete
  8. Top Professional Photo Retouching Services at retouching image. Affordable Photoshop Service Online 24 /7. European Quality. Easy and Fast. Try now


    _________________________________
    Professional Photo Retouching Services

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello everybody, I be familiar with YouTube video carries less bytes of memory due to that its quality is poor, however this YouTube video has impressive picture features.
    Dog & Puppy Training

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is great! It really shows me where to expand my blog. I think, in future I must try to write a book to go along with my blog, but we will see. In the end, it’s a good post with useful tips and ideas.

    Memphis dog trainers

    ReplyDelete