Friday, April 23, 2010

Story of a Four-Legged Bath Towel...The Basenji's War on Wetness.

It's a rainy, dreary day, and I've had plenty of time to sit & observe a phenomenon that has been a daily occurrence in our house ever since the day I brought puppy Jibini home, some 9 years ago.

Since the beginning, Jibini has assigned himself a very important role in our house- that of the Four Legged Bath Towel.

Like many Basenjis, he dislikes baths or swimming, hates going out in the rain, and has an obsession with making wet things dry again.

When one of us takes a shower, Jibini responds like the proverbial Pavlov's dog whenever he hears the shower turn off and the "sccchhheeenk!" of the shower curtain being pulled back. No matter where he is in the house, or what he's doing at the time, he will drop everything and RUN to the bathroom. There, he will stand politely, head slightly bowed as if to maintain dignity, until the human wraps him/herself in a towel & steps out of the tub. Then he will solemnly and dutifully proceed to lick our legs dry, from the knees down, until we finally bend down with the towel and finish the job ourselves.

Tana isn't quite as dutiful about it- I think she learned the behavior from Jibini; she will occasionally follow him to the bathroom and "help"....but she is far more likely to choose to remain in her comfortable sleeping spot instead of rushing to the bathroom for towel duty. I can't help but wonder if Jibini approves of her shirking her patriotic duty as a Basenji.

Jibini's "duty to absorb wetness" extends to the other dogs, as well. As much as he tries to treat Tana like a bratty kid sister...if she is unfortunate enough to be dragged outside on a leash in the rain to potty, he will hover over her protectively and lick her coat dry while shooting frosty glares in my direction. Same with Chloe, despite the fact that they have had a rocky relationship from the beginning, he does the same for her.

Not long ago, Chloe got a bath after being struck a "glancing blow" by a skunk. Jibini hovered protectively around the tub, clearly upset by the injustice being dealt to Chloe.

Oh, the humanity.

As soon as I took her out of the tub, toweled her off & let her loose in the house, Jibini and Tana both trotted after her, where they proceeded to give her a full detail with fluff-dry.

"You are damp; this is unacceptable, allow me to remedy this for you."

Today is no different- I just got home from the store & took everybody out to potty, in the rain, much to the dismay of the Basenjis. Once Jibini was satisfied that everybody was warm and dry to his standards, he curled up on the other couch where he has been giving me cold stares for about an hour. No amount of coaxing will bring him to the couch next to me- which is where he almost always curls when I'm home. No, he's upset with me...refusing to speak to me, but I'd be willing to bet if I hopped in the shower, all would be forgiven as soon as I stepped out.

2 comments:

  1. One of the cutest basenji puppies I've seen. You sure took a lot of effort in taking care of it. Congratulations. All the effort is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teaching a dog is not a science, its an art which requires your skills. You can have that skills by simply log on Portland Dog Training for best available tips and solutions.

    ReplyDelete