Thursday, July 30, 2009

You know it's rural

For somebody who grew up in densely populated central Florida, it never ceases to amaze me that I can "commute" exactly 50 miles from my driveway to the kennel, and I can count the number of vehicles I see on both hands. On some mornings I can count them on one hand. That's 50 miles, with an average of one car every 10 miles.

And I have gotten to "know" my fellow commuters. Every day when I drive to work, I see the same car going the other way. That's how few vehicles there are- I can pick out a single car, and watch for it every single day.

Every day. A blue Nissan Altima. Whoever's driving it has a long commute, even longer than mine- I've left the house an hour early and passed her on US 231, some 40 miles away from my house. I've left the house 30 mins late, and passed her driving through my town on SR 25.

Just another one of the mind-boggling yet perfectly pleasing aspects of life here in the middle of nowhere.



I mean this Deliverance picture in the best possible way. No, really. I do. :)

2 comments:

  1. I am really enjoying your blogs. I came across the police blotter one, and got several chuckles out of it :) As someone who also grew up in central Florida, and now lives in the very large Atlanta metro area, I probably get similar pleasure out of a police blotter that has the less serious 'crimes'. My mother was born near Perry, Fla., a very small town that had (when I was a kid) a weekly paper that had a police blotter that tickled even a kid with the silly stuff that made publication.

    I had to ask though, do your fellow commuters wave out there? I'm sure you remember driving in the rural south, where if you saw someone sitting on a porch or passed them driving, a solitary, dignified raised hand was required. If you do that in the city, people think you're probably best avoided - or giving them the finger, or hoisting a gun.

    ReplyDelete